Sunday, April 1, 2012

~Let Them Eat Cake~

From my first attempts with little fingers at patting out mud pies


to my first easy bake oven, where I stood guard over my little treasure as it baked happily away under a light bulb


to my graduation to a 'real stove'


"Let's bake a cake" has always been a happy refrain.
My hands down favorite cake has always been the 'classic white wedding cake'
Why, I've been know to go to weddings of people I don't even know, just to sample the cake.
(.....well, not really, but don't think I haven't thought about it. Ha ha)

This a pretty good little recipe, for such an easy cake. Very moist, very light.
(recipe to follow)
Since The Dressed Up Cottage is an empty nest with just me and Mr. Wonderful, I cut the recipe in half. One layer is perfect for the two of us.

It's amazing just how many shots Miss Lizzie wriggles herself into.





Hmmmm..... cakes come out so much better when not baked under a light bulb!!




Now let's just see how this tastes, shall we?





......YUM

the only thing missing now is a Bride & Groom.




Recipe found online at Recipe Girl.com

White Wedding Cake
1 Box white cake mix (Duncan Hines Moist)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup water
2 TBS vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 325. Grease and flour your desired pans.
In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix, flour, sugar and salt.
Add remaining ingredients and beat for 2 minutes.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Be sure to fill them 3/4 to 1 inch below the rim. Bake for about 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Tips:
Add 1 tsp of almond extract in addition to the vanilla for a different flavor
Cupcakes take about 18 mins to bake.

Wedding Cake Buttercream
3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter ( room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 2 TBS whipping cream ( as needed)

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar on low speed. Mix until blended then increase speed to medium for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and cream ( start with just one TBS) for  1 minute adding more cream if needed to reach desired spreading consistency.


Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. mmm I love white wedding cake. And I remember making mud pies and I also had an easy bake oven. When I ran out of those rather expensive little pre-made packets of cake or cookie ingredients, I made my own out of sugar, flower, and water. It actually came out tasting somewhat like a fortune cookie... which is perhaps why I no longer like fortune cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss making mud pies! Your cake looked delicious! I shall try this receipt one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each and every comment. If you have any questions, I will answer them here, so make sure to check back.