Sunday, May 19, 2013

~ You've Got Mail ~


As a lover of history and pieces of furniture with a story
you can imagine how thrilled I was when Mr. Wonderful produced this 
antique gem.


We were blessed to inherit 100 beautiful acres of Ozark land steeped in history.
The little town of Graydon Springs MO was a stop on the rail line on the way to Kansas City 
for many many years.
There was a hotel that boasted mineral springs where people came to 
'take the waters', which was very popular at the turn of the last century.
The hotel burned down long ago.
And there's not enough left to feed the imagination about the life that was. 
The large store building which housed the Post Office
is still standing on our property. But only just barely.....nothing left but the shell of the 12" thick walls.
But we were lucky enough to find this Post Office box
which my darling hubbs restored.
The Post Office operated out of this location from 1890-1940

The Hubbs had a clever idea of mounting the Post Office Box in the wall 
looking into his study from the hallway.





It's hard to get good clear pictures in the dark hallway. Sorry.

Just think of all the letters sent back and forth from families and friends from across the country.
And all the visiting that took place as townspeople came to the local post office to see if there was anything waiting for them in their little numbered slot.









This is an old picture from the 60's  taken from the railway, noting Graydon Springs.
That little building is NOT the store building I've been talking about.




When was the last time you received a letter from a friend?



15 comments:

  1. I love letters too. Bring this back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, love letters penned from the heart.....bring them back. :)
    xo
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri this is wonderful! Such a unique piece and great conversation piece. How fortunate you are to have acreage in such a beautiful part of the world:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, I agree it's beautiful country. But then everyone can say that about wherever they are lucky enough to live in this grand land of the USA.
      You're right about this being a conversation piece, it has indeed sparked many a conversation.
      xo
      Terri

      Delete
  4. Hi, Terri - What a cool, cool piece! Luvvvv it!!! I think it is perfect between your hallway and 'his' study. You can drop off a note or two to the Hubbs :)
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this Loi. :)
      Yes, there have been several secret notes to The Hubbs placed in the little mail slots. What fun.
      xo
      Terri

      Delete
  5. That is so neat, Terri. I love the story too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I love a good story attached to a piece of furniture.
      Terri

      Delete
  6. I've always loved those mail slots. I have never seen that in anyone's home before. It's cool that you had that piece of family history and were able to incorporate it into your home. I can picture Victorian and Edwardian people receiving letters about births, deaths, and weddings in the era before Facebook. If that piece could talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, a lot of news has been tucked into these little slots over the years.
      xo
      Terri

      Delete
  7. Such an amazing piece of work to incorporate in your home. Yes, if only it could talk, what stories it could tell! Love this! And that's a very cool photo showing the "Graydon Springs" sign, that's neat you could find that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and since I don't have any stories first hand, I will just make them up. :)
      xo
      Terri

      Delete
  8. Please let me know if you're looking for a article writer for your weblog. You have some really good posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some articles for
    your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if
    interested. Thank you!
    Gold & silver chain by the inch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again.

    wholesale Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had gone through it thoroughly its really worth to spent time on it and i really got to know a lot more from it .
    Smart Card Lock Manufacturers in bhubaneswar

    ReplyDelete

I truly appreciate each and every comment. If you have any questions, I will answer them here, so make sure to check back.